Honours at EMSAH
Why study Honours?
Honours offers you the opportunity to pursue in-depth studies (full-time or part-time) in your discipline. Honours prepares you to undertake a Master of Philosophy degree or a doctorate, but many students enrol in order to follow up an area of research that has come to fascinate them, and to cap off a three-year BA before entering the world beyond the university.
To ease the transition from undergraduate to honours EMSAH has put in place a support network that makes it as easy as possible for you to become part of our research community. The network is made up of your honours colleagues (buddies) and postgraduate students enrolled in research higher degrees (mentors) and, of course, thesis advisors and other members of staff. If you have a question, there’s always someone to ask, and there’s always someone to chat through ideas with over a coffee.
The EMSAH Honours (Postgraduate Bachelor of Arts) degree can be taken in the following fields:
* Film and Television, and Media Studies students all complete the Communication and Cultural Studies coursework. The Communication and Cultural Studies seminars offered at Honours level are designed to take the disciplinary mix of Film and Television Studies, Media, and Communication and Cultural Studies into account. Your dissertation can focus on Film, Television, Media Studies, Communication or Cultural Studies.
Skills gained from the honours program include:
- advanced research methods
- incisive reading skills
- improved communication skills
- improved interpersonal skills
- independent learning
- learning how to plan, research and produce a substantial project in the form of the dissertation
- experience in critical analysis.
You develop these skills by:
- studying in a seminar environment and at a much more in-depth level than is possible at undergraduate level
- working through research ideas with others in seminars and outside class
- writing a Dissertation (a long essay on a topic of your choice), with the help of an advisor
Combined Honours with other Departments or Schools may be possible.
The period of Honours enrolment is one year full-time or two years part-time. Enquiries should be directed to the program director, Dr Melissa Harper. News and information for current Honours students is available here.
|Honours at EMSAH section|